Martin Luther McCoy: singer, songwriter, guitarist, producer, and native San Franciscan. Martin Luther shares stories of his career starting from a gospel music childhood in San Francisco’s Bayview, to performing and touring with Philadelphia-based Hip Hop Band, The Roots, and being cast as Jo-Jo in the Hollywood musical, Across The Universe.
In this interview we also cover:
- Experiences and lessons learned, including adapting to an industry shift from physical to streaming services, and networking and making opportunities in the competitive music industry.
- Learning to balance what feeds your soul and the business savvy required to nurture the relationships that drive success.
- Building his “team” including influential Bay Area attorney Michael Aczon.
- Development as a singer, producer, and entrepreneur with his label, Rebel Soul Records, and the empowering messages he aims to deliver through his music.
- Touring and performing with Kev Choice and being invited by Randal Kline, (founder of SF Jazz) to join the SF Jazz Collective and performing with an all-star group of top players on their respective instruments.
This Podcast features Martin Luther’s most recent production at the time of this recording, “The Warmth of Other Suns”, co-produced and arranged by Minna Choi, and featuring The Magik*Magik Orchestra, String Quartet, and Kev Choice on Piano.