Martin Luther McCoy: singer, songwriter, guitarist, producer, and native San Franciscan. Martin Luther shares stories of his career starting from a gospel music childhood in San Francisco’s Bayview, to performing and touring with Philadelphia-based Hip Hop Band, The Roots, and being cast as Jo-Jo in the Hollywood musical, Across The Universe.
In this interview we also cover:
- Experiences and lessons learned, including adapting to an industry shift from physical to streaming services, and networking and making opportunities in the competitive music industry.
- Learning to balance what feeds your soul and the business savvy required to nurture the relationships that drive success.
- Building his “team” including influential Bay Area attorney Michael Aczon.
- Development as a singer, producer, and entrepreneur with his label, Rebel Soul Records, and the empowering messages he aims to deliver through his music.
- Touring and performing with Kev Choice and being invited by Randal Kline, (founder of SF Jazz) to join the SF Jazz Collective and performing with an all-star group of top players on their respective instruments.
This Podcast features Martin Luther’s most recent production at the time of this recording, “The Warmth of Other Suns”, co-produced and arranged by Minna Choi, and featuring The Magik*Magik Orchestra, String Quartet, and Kev Choice on Piano.
WARMTH OF OTHE SUNS MUSIC VIDEO
SFJAZZ ALONE TOGETHER: MARTIN LUTHER MCCOY & KEV CHOICE
MARTIN LUTHER MCCOY ON BANDCAMP
I connect artists and producers to their purpose and help launch their careers.
Executive, producer & engineer with over 25 years in the music and video game industries: technical and creative services, business development and management, music publishing & education.
Host of the “Mentor My Mix” Podcast that features interviews with a global network of industry professionals, producers, artists and educators.
I have conducted panels and spoken at: SXSW, The SF Music Tech Conference, AES Conference, The Academy of Art, SFSU, and GRAMMY Sound Tables.
Voted entrepreneur of the Year by The Renaissance Center For Entrepreneurship and awarded ICIC’s (Initiative for a Competitive Inner City) top 100 fastest growing inner city companies in America.
30 year voting member of The Recording Academy (The Grammys). Served on the board of Governors and as a Trustee.
Clients have included: HTC Vive, Microsoft Studios, Insomniac Games, Ubisoft, Disney, Sony Interactive Entertainment, Blizzard and Zynga, working on award-winning titles like: Watch Dogs 2, Halo Anniversary, Sunset Overdrive, God Of War, World Of Warcraft, Kinect Disneyland, Arcade Saga VR, and Tron Run/r.
Music credits include working with many globally recognized recording artists including Rob Garza (Thievery Corporation), Giorgio Moroder, K Theory, Rain Phutureprimitive, The Bronx, Merl Saunders & Jerry Garcia (The Grateful Dead) and Rocker T & the legendary Joan Baez amongst many others.